Connecting Alesis to Focusrite

I have an Alesis V25 which has a usb B port. I want to connect it to my Focusrite 2i2. I’m thinking I need a usb B to 1/4" jack or usb B to Midi? I’ve been looking for such a beast but I’m not having any luck. Does such a thing even exist?

As far as I know, a USB B to 1/4" jack or USB B to MIDI adapter doesn’t exist. That’s because they serve different purposes. Here’s why:

• USB B: This is a digital connection used for data transfer. In the case of your Alesis V25, the USB B port is used to send MIDI data to your computer or DAW.

Image of USB B portOpens in a new windowwww.sparkfun.com

USB B port

• 1/4" jack: This is an analogue audio connection typically used for guitars, microphones, and headphones. The Focusrite 2i2 has 1/4" jack inputs for connecting microphones and instruments.

Image of 1/4 jackOpens in a new windowwww.swamp.net.au

1/4 jack

• MIDI: MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) is a protocol for transmitting musical information between electronic devices. While MIDI data can be sent over USB, it’s also a separate format that can be transmitted over 5-pin DIN connectors.

So, to connect your Alesis V25 to your Focusrite 2i2, you don’t need any special adapters. You can simply use a standard USB cable to connect the USB B port on your V25 to a USB port on your computer. Then, in your DAW, you can select the Focusrite 2i2 as your MIDI input device. This will allow your V25 to send MIDI data to your computer, which can then be used to trigger sounds in your DAW.

Here are some additional tips:

• Make sure you’re using a good-quality USB cable. A cheap or damaged cable can cause MIDI data to be dropped, which can result in missed notes or other problems.
  • Install the latest drivers for your Focusrite 2i2. This will ensure that your computer is able to properly communicate with the audio interface.

I hope this helps! :+1:

1 Like

Well, heck! That helps a lot. I need to try this. So essentially I have two midi device inputs? The Focusrite and the V25? Is this right? I’ll mess around with this and see if it works. Thanks again!